[Distutils] Q about best practices now (or near future)

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Fri Jul 19 06:39:39 CEST 2013

On Jul 19, 2013, at 12:23 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> I like the idea of switching to zc.buildout style entry points - it
> makes it easier to get pip to a point where "no setuptools" means "can
> only install from wheel files" rather than "can't install anything"
> (that way pip can install setuptools from a wheel if it needs to build
> something else from source).

I plan on making pip bundle setuptools regardless.

To underline how important that is, it's been discovered (though we are still working out _why_) that pip 1.3.1 on python 3.x+ is broken with setuptools 0.7+. Historically we haven't tested old versions of pip against new versions of setuptools (and with how quickly setuptools is releasing now a days that matrix is going to become very big very fast).

Bundling setuptools makes things way more stable and alleviates a lot of long term support headaches.

Also just to be specific entry points don't require setuptools, they require pkg_resources which currently is installed as part of setuptools but can likely be split out.

Donald Stufft