[Distutils] entry points PEP

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Fri Jul 19 10:38:09 CEST 2013

On 19 July 2013 01:03, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:
> Abstract
>
> This PEP proposes a way to represent the setuptools “entry points”
> feature in standard Python metadata. Entry points are a useful
> mechanism for advertising or discovering plugins or other exported
> functionality without having to depend on the module namespace. Since
> the feature is used by many existing Python distributions and not
> everyone wants to use setuptools, it is useful to have a way to
> represent the functionality that is not tied to setuptools itself.
>
> The proposed feature defines an extension field for the standard
> Python distribution metadata and some basic semantics for its use.

So my question here would be - can we make it faster? We have just
been diagnosing a performance problem in nova due to rootwrap being a
pkg_resources scripts entry point : just getting to the first line of
main() takes 200ms, and we make dozens of subprocess calls (has to be,
we're escalating privileges) to the script in question : that time is
nearly entirely doing introspection of metadata from disk.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist