[Distutils] Specific packaging goals and a tentative timeline

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 06:21:24 CEST 2013

On 19 July 2013 14:06, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> We have a lot of initiatives going every which way at the moment, so I
> figured it would be a good idea to get a common perception of what we
> consider to be the important near term goals and a realistic timeline
> for improving the packaging ecosystem (in particular, the timing
> relative to the CPython 3.4 release cycle).

What do people think of the idea of my writing something up as an
actual "Python packaging road map" and adding it to the user guide?
(It would probably replace
https://python-packaging-user-guide.readthedocs.org/en/latest/future.html)

Note that I wouldn't actually *do* this until after I get back from
Flock to Fedora (the conference is mid-August, I get home late August
since I'm taking some time off for a holiday), so we have plenty of
time to discuss the general approach before it gets written up
anywhere more "official". Just wanted to give people a change to think
about the idea.

Cheers,
Nick.