[Distutils] [issue156] SSL errors when using https proxy

Chris Jones setuptools at bugs.python.org
Tue Jul 23 10:11:27 CEST 2013

New submission from Chris Jones:

>From an image building script from diskimage-builder (part of OpenStack):

+ echo 'http_proxy: http://10.0.88.68:3128/'
http_proxy: http://10.0.88.68:3128/
+ echo 'https_proxy: http://10.0.88.68:3128/'
https_proxy: http://10.0.88.68:3128/
+ bash
root at stonker:/# easy_install os-apply-config
Searching for os-apply-config
Reading https://pypi.python.org/simple/os-apply-config/
Download error on https://pypi.python.org/simple/os-apply-config/: [Errno 1] _ssl.c:504: error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown protocol -- Some packages may not be found!
Couldn't find index page for 'os-apply-config' (maybe misspelled?)
Scanning index of all packages (this may take a while)
Reading https://pypi.python.org/simple/
Download error on https://pypi.python.org/simple/: [Errno 1] _ssl.c:504: error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown protocol -- Some packages may not be found!
No local packages or download links found for os-apply-config
error: Could not find suitable distribution for Requirement.parse('os-apply-config')
root at stonker:/#

(the proxy URL is a very close to stock squid3 configuration on another machine on my LAN, which is used elsewhere in the building script to download OS images, etc, so is not believed to be the issue).

Reading through the setuptools code, I wondered if this is because the VerifyingHTTPSHandler inserted into the urllib2 opener chain, is trying to do direct socket connections. At the point it does that, I inserted a call to has_proxy() on the Request object and it returned False, which confused me as I would expect ProxyHandler to still be in the opener chain.

messages: 741
nosy: cmsj
priority: bug
status: unread
title: SSL errors when using https proxy