[Distutils] a plea for backward-compatibility / smooth transitions

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Mon Jul 29 21:14:56 CEST 2013

On Jul 29, 2013, at 2:57 PM, zooko <zooko at zooko.com> wrote:

> I'd like to push back on the other risk, that someone might figure out how to
> make MD5 second-pre-images. I don't think this is a risk that we need to
> urgently address, and I've written a short note explaining why. This note is
> incomplete, badly edited, has not been peer-reviewed, and is not ready for
> publication, but I thought it might help folks evaluate how urgent it is to
> upgrade from MD5, so here it is.

I don't think it's urgent to fix it, but I think it's a good security hardening effort
with very little downside and very little chance of regression. However, as I
said if Holger, or anyone else, has a concern about the affects of adding this
bit of security hardening to give us a safety net again then I simply won't do
it in the simple API.

Donald Stufft