[Distutils] a plea for backward-compatibility / smooth transitions (was: Re: Migrating Hashes from MD5 to SHA256)

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Tue Jul 30 09:56:38 CEST 2013

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 14:30 -0400, Donald Stufft wrote:
> On Jul 29, 2013, at 1:28 PM, holger krekel <holger at merlinux.eu> wrote:

> >> There's basically zero way for this to fail closed in any of the
> >> current installers. The failure mode is unverified packages not
> >> uninstallable packages. I am not aware of a single installer that
> >> mandates the use of a hash. Crate.io has never used md5 hashes and has
> >> always used sha256 and I've never received a single report of an
> >> installer being unable to install because of it, which is exactly what
> >> I expect.
> >
> > So you think the worst case for forcing SHA256 hashes is that installers
> > who don't yet support sha256 hashes would just ignore it (and thus wouldn't
> > do hash verification)?
>
> Yes. I've been using sha256 on simple.crate.io for over a year and
> zero people have ever stated it didn't work for them. This also fits
> in with my knowledge of how setuptools and pip works. I know
> zc.buildout less well but to my knowledge they simple allow setuptools
> to handle the downloading.

Sounds good.  Maybe "secondary" tools could get problems, though.
I know for sure that devpi-server might stumble but i can fix that.
Also i remember there were tools that memorized MD5 hashes in requirements
files etc.

> >> Indicating via Header or query param pretty much destroys the
> >> effectiveness of the CDN's cache in order to fix a problem with a
> >> theoretical (as far as I am aware) installer that requires a md5 hash
> >> (and thus has never worked for any of the externally hosted packages.
> >> Additionally it doesn't account for external urls which need to be
> >> registered *with* a hash.
> >
> > Currently there is no hash-type enforcement on registered externals, is there?
>
> Registered externals must register with a md5 hash, scraped links and
> download urls etc do not require it because they are indirectly added.
> There is no verification by PyPI that the given hash matches the
> package at the end of the url.

Hum, can we allow submitting multiple hashes?  Are there tools already
that help with registering externals?

> >> As far as available attacks, *today* an author could upload a package
> >> that has been created so as to have a sister package with malicious
> >> code that has the same hash allowing them to have a malicious package
> >> they can substitute at will without the hashes changing at all. In the
> >> future it's possible that a pre-image attack on MD5 will be found and
> >> then we'll be dealing with this problem then when we've lost all
> >> verification on external urls instead of now when we have time to get
> >> external urls to switch.
> >
> > So the attack is a malicious author or someone else modifying an external
> > release file (either directly on the server or via MITM) while maintaining
> > the pre-registered MD5 hash, right?
> >
> > I am currently merely trying to understand more exactly what
> > you are worried about.
>
> (...)
>
> MD5 is currently broken for collision resistance. This means that an
> author can generate two packages that hash to the same thing. Once
> package might be benign and one might be malicious. Given those two
> packages people using the md5 hashes will not be able to differentiate
> between the benign and the malicous package.

I think we should not pretend that PyPI has (by itself) any safety belts
against malicious authors.  There are numerous ways for malicious authors
to do evil if they choose to.  The potential ability to fake a package
using a collision attack merely adds another way.

Do you know, btw, if TUF is going to help with any of what we are discussing
here? (I am again a bit lost as to the roadmap wrt to TUF - is there
something?)

cheers,
holger