[Distutils] a plea for backward-compatibility / smooth transitions

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 31 00:19:18 CEST 2013

Donald Stufft <donald <at> stufft.io> writes:

> to PyPI. The "snark" in my statements primarily came from that feeling of
> someone was trying to "shut down" an enhancement.

To be fair, the tone you've taken (which can rub people up the wrong way)
hasn't just been over long-standing security issues. I've also felt
uncomfortable with some of your responses relating to the PEP 426
discussion around the JSON schema for requirements, where there is not the
same level of urgency, nor valid reason to believe that you're being thwarted
somehow.

If someone's approach comes off as unduly dismissive (even if not meant that
way), it makes it harder to engage in constructive discussion. I recognise
that it's hard communicating with people remotely, many of whom one might
never have met. It's easy to miss nuance and misconstrue turns of phrase. It's
best to tread gingerly, else too much time is spent smoothing ruffled feathers
at the expense of getting real work done.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip