[Distutils] Sooner or later, we're going to have to be more formal about how we name packages.

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sat Jun 1 20:09:21 CEST 2013

On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 2:02 PM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> On Jun 1, 2013, at 2:01 PM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>

> I am opposed to this. Requiring someone to have purchased a domain adds a
> significant
> to publishing a project. If there are no requirements that they have
> purchased the domain
> then it's nothing more than a convention and something that anyone who wants
> to do
> this can do.

Fair enough. A common variation on this scenario, which avoids
purchasing a domain,
is to use a code hosting domain and project name, so, for example:
org.bitbucket.j1m.foo.

Of course, using a domain name without owning it is a form of squatting.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimfulton