[Distutils] Setuptools 0.7 final available for download

Jason R. Coombs jaraco at jaraco.com
Sun Jun 2 19:28:07 CEST 2013

Hi Paul.

From: Paul Moore [mailto:p.f.moore at gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, 02 June, 2013 13:13

On 2 June 2013 16:42, Jason R. Coombs <jaraco at jaraco.com
<mailto:jaraco at jaraco.com> > wrote:

For convenience, I've also added experimental .msi installers for Windows
for Python 3.3 and Python 2.7. Work may continue on these in the future, but
as the documentation states, the recommended installation procedure is to
use ez_setup.py.

Please consider using wheel instead of msi. Or at least bdist_wininst. The
msi format is opaque and cannot be converted to other formats. OTOH,
setuptools is pure Python, so having binaries is a relative non-issue.

Thanks. I need to learn wheel. I haven't yet done that. The reason I chose
msi is because it is a binary distribution format that works on 64-bit
Python (there still exists a bug in distutils where installers don't detect
64-bit python installations because the installer executable is 32-bit).

The recommended installation technique on all platforms, much like
Distribute, is to do a source install.

One point - can I assume that the new version is written to run unchanged on
all supported Python versions (2 and 3) so that it is possible to build a
wheel using *any* version of Python and use it unchanged on any other? (I
ask because I'd like to look at integrating setuptools 0.7 into virtualenv).

Currently, Python 3 support is still using the same technique employed by
distribute - namely, running 2to3 during install. So I don't believe it can
be used unchanged on any Python version. Having a single code base for
Python 2.4-3.3 is the top feature I want to develop as soon as the merge is
complete and successfully adopted.