[Distutils] option #1 plus download_url scraping

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Jun 5 16:25:54 CEST 2013

On Jun 04, 2013, at 03:23 PM, Noah Kantrowitz wrote:

>Do you mean you just don't want to update the version number in setup.py
>before you release?

Correct, although on further reflection, if the alternative download site has
predictable URLs, then it wouldn't be too difficult to calculate the new url
for setup.py.  I just don't want to have to change the version number in more
than one place (which for my packages, is *not* the setup.py).

>I'm a bit unsure of the reason for this. The goal is very specifically the
>hosting outside of PyPI is no longer encouraged. The reliability and
>performance of PyPI have enough of a track record now that "I want it on my
>own site just in case" no longer holds enough water to be worth the
>substantial downsides.

Fair enough.

-Barry