[Distutils] option #1 plus download_url scraping

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 00:08:46 CEST 2013

On 6 Jun 2013 04:49, "Donald Stufft" <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> On Jun 5, 2013, at 1:49 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
>
>> On Jun 05, 2013, at 12:16 PM, Donald Stufft wrote:
>>
>>> Where are you updating the version information at? And how are you
generating
>>> a tarball so that it's name has the correct version in it?
>>

>> It depends on the package, but let's say it's in a version.txt file.
 Your
>> implication is correct though - if setup.py is parsing that file to
calculate
>> the version key, it can also do the same and calculate the download_url
value.

>> -Barry
>

> I'm really just trying to get a sense of your workflow to see if I can
make any changes to improve the process for it.

> One of the big problems with download_url is that the data in setup.py is
used in (and influences the content of) the final dist file. This means
that inside of a setup.py you won't know what the hash of the final file
is. So it's difficult for a setup.py based workflow with external urls to
provide md5 sums for the files which means that pip and friends can't
verify that no body modified the download in transit.

Hmm, I should mention this problem in PEP 426, and explicitly limit
source_url to tarballs and VCS references. This self-referencing problem
means it can't easily refer to a built sdist anyway, and the original
source is preferred for distro packaging purposes.

Cheers,
Nick.