[Distutils] PyPI Download Counts

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 00:57:57 CEST 2013

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 6:56 PM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> On May 30, 2013, at 8:05 AM, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 3:27 AM, holger krekel <holger at merlinux.eu> wrote:
>
> Hi Donald,
>
> On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 20:08 -0400, Donald Stufft wrote:
>
> Hello!
>
> As you have have noticed the download counts on PyPI are no longer
> updating. Originally this was due to an issue with the script that
> processes these download counts. However I have now removed the download
> counts from the PyPI webui and their use via the API is considered
> deprecated.
>
> There are numerous reasons for their removal/deprecation some of which are:
>    - Technically hard to make work with the new CDN
>        - The CDN is being donated to the PSF, and the donated tier does
> not offer any form of log access
>

> What would be involved money/effort wise to get such access?
>

> I didn't see an answer to this.
>
> Any idea how much this would cost?  With access to logs, we could
> compute download counts.
>
> Jim
>
> --
> Jim Fulton
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimfulton
>

> Fastly has given us access to their streaming log support.

That's another deal. This is just what is expected in exchange for the
"Real-time CDN by Fastly" phrase at the bottom of the page to make it
reflect the reality.

I'd say that not getting access to download stats from the start is a fail
on the side of PSF or whoever involved in coordination with Fastly. There
are many CDN providers out there and I suspect so far only Fastly was
contacted. The primary responsibility of that coordinator is correctly
sending the message for CDN provider that PyPI is a public exhibition of
their service quality, and not a tax exemption for charity. I'd say Fastly
should be interested to help with making us download stats exposed in a
convenient API friendly way, because real-time stats is the key feature of
their marketing advantage as I see it.

Infrastructure will be setting up a secure method for receiving these logs
> at which point PyPI can use them.

Is it done already? I am free to some degree to help with that. What is the
current problem to tackle on?