[Distutils] Setuptools/Distribute error with 0.7.2

Marcus Smith qwcode at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 21:47:10 CEST 2013

> Hi Liam,****
>
>                 Sorry for the trouble. The cause is rooted in the latest
> updates to Setuptools and Distribute on PyPI which were launched today.***
> *
>
> ** **
>
>                 I believe what’s happening here is pip is installing
> Distribute 0.7, which triggers the uninstallation of Distribute, but
> Distribute 0.7 (a compatibility wrapper) depends on a setuptools module to
> be in place to install.****
>
> ** **
>
>                 I’m unsure about the failed rollback. That looks like a
> separate issue in pip.

the simplest answer IMO is to not use pip to upgrade distribute/setuptools
right now.
It was only working in python2 before now anyway.  (
https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/650)
pip is fundamentally dependent on setuptools to perform upgrades.
the best fix I think is to move faster on making pip "PEP439 compliant"
   - i.e. have pip be able to at least install from wheels w/o needing
setuptools, which would remove the bootstrap headache
   - see https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/863
   - this could likely involve pip replacing it's use of pkg_resources with
distlib (https://github.com/pypa/pip/pull/909)

Marcus