[Distutils] PyPI Download Counts

Alex Clark aclark at aclark.net
Sun Jun 9 22:04:45 CEST 2013

Donald Stufft <donald <at> stufft.io> writes:

> So yes. I broke Download counts because they were not more important than
> people being able to actually use PyPI to install from.

FWIW:

You missed the moral of the story: when you make a decision like this,
someone will *always* disagree with you (even over the most trivial things).
And even if they don't, they may disagree with your approach (e.g. why not
sort problems with download counts before enabling the CDN) So the only way
to make everyone happy is to consider everyone who will be affected by your
actions, before you take action.

(I'm not that concerned with this particular incident, just fascinated by
open source community relations in general.)

Alex