[Distutils] Setuptools/Distribute error with 0.7.2

Jason R. Coombs jaraco at jaraco.com
Mon Jun 10 03:37:33 CEST 2013

I think it would be highly desirable to add support for pip to handle the
upgrade from distribute 0.6 to 0.7. You'll note that because 0.7 depends on
setuptools 0.7 that 0.7 has already been downloaded. Perhaps a shim like you
propose would work, or it's also conceivable that distribute 0.7 could
include a setuptools 0.7 source tree which pip could leverage (but not
install).

Yes, PEP 439 will be awesome, but I think this important milestone for
setuptools is also essential to simplify the landscape in order to help
migrate users in a sustainable way to the new tools, so we've got to find a
way to make it happen for the good of the eco system.