[Distutils] Setuptools 0.7.2 and Distribute 0.7 (compatibility wrapper) on PyPI

Jason R. Coombs jaraco at jaraco.com
Mon Jun 10 20:55:45 CEST 2013

There seems to be a dominant opinion that the file should be on PyPI, and I don't disagree.

One issue is that the file must be mutable. It necessarily contains a reference to the preferred version to be downloaded. That version changes over time. It's typically incremented, but sometimes decremented.

It's possible the script could be updated to otherwise discover the most appropriate version. As it's currently implemented however, the file must be expected to change over time.

Because the file must change during each release, the system needs to be able to accept an updated version. This is why the Bitbucket Link was referenced, because it can include that version information.

I'm open to suggestions on how we can create a perma link to a file that changes over time on PyPI.

For now, the most authoritative place I could think of for that file was the bit bucket downloads. Let's identify a mechanism to do the same on PyPI and get that into set of tools for the next release.

Sent from my comm