[Distutils] Updated drafts of metadata 2.0 (PEP 426 and PEP 440)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 09:05:09 CEST 2013

On 20 June 2013 23:07, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> New versions of PEP 426 and PEP 440 are up on python.org:
>
> PEP 426 (metadata 2.0): http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0426/
> PEP 440 (version spec): http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0440/
>
> (as before, not including them inline due to sheer length)
>
> The bulk of the changes are in this commit:
> http://hg.python.org/peps/rev/de305af601fa
> (there are a few minor tweaks in subsequent commits to the PEPs repo)

PEP 426 has now been updated based on the feedback on this thread (and
to handle some "todo" items that were pending anyway):
http://hg.python.org/peps/rev/3f733fe7c06c

* Adds implementation_name and implementation_version marker variables
* Expands on the expected use cases for supports_environments
* References wheel and warehouse from legacy metadata appendix
* Drops most of the Sphinx notes (moving some to Rejected Features)

I forgot to mention it in the commit message, but it also expands on
some of the possible use cases for metadata extensions, such as a
build tool storing the default build options for wheel creation.

Cheers,
Nick.