[Distutils] Updated drafts of metadata 2.0 (PEP 426 and PEP 440)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 13:09:30 CEST 2013

On 23 June 2013 08:05, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> PEP 426 has now been updated based on the feedback on this thread (and
> to handle some "todo" items that were pending anyway):
> http://hg.python.org/peps/rev/3f733fe7c06c

Sorry I didn't think of this sooner, but I don't see in the PEP a brief
summary of precisely what metadata is required. From the "Core Metadata"
section I infer that a project with *only* Name and Version (and
Metadata-Version, which will be supplied by the build tool) is valid.
That's fine, but notably more permissive than earlier versions of the spec.

One thing I see is "Index servers MAY require that this field be provided"
for some metadata (e.g., Summary") which is fine, I guess, but implies that
somewhere, the rules for PyPI should be documented. Also, is it true that
build tools MAY require certain fields to be provided? I'm pretty sure
setup.py sdist does at present.

My logic here is that previously I would go to the metadata PEP to check
precisely what fields I need when building my project. Now, I'm not sure
where I'd go. (Note that most of my projects are internal only, so it's
actually the extra distutils/setuptools requirements that interest me more
than those of PyPI...) I can imagine the answer would be "the documentation
of the individual tool" - but in reality said documentation often isn't
present (possibly because earlier metadata PEPs documented this information
centrally)

Paul