[Distutils] Download Counts on PyPI

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Sat Jun 29 14:26:20 CEST 2013

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 17:18 -0400, Donald Stufft wrote:
> Download counts have (kind of) been re-enabled on PyPI.
>
> The new download counts work as so:
>
>     * At the bottom of a detail page there is rolling tallies for the last
>        day, the last week, and the last month[1]
>     * The API exposes total download counts per file still.
>     * The rolling counts update more or less in real time while the total counts in the API update hourly.
>     * We no longer incorporate download counts from mirrors, making the mirroring infrastructure a tree and not a federation.
>
> [1] Only the last day is enabled currently, once more data is available the last week and last month will also be enabled.

haven't investigated much but FYI it appears to me that the
download numbers are not accurate.  Yesterday i downloaded
a package myself three times alone from three different locations
and the download number i see now is "2".  And i am pretty sure
i wasn't the only one doing a download.

cheers,
holger