[Distutils] buildout and build-time dependencies

Reinout van Rees reinout at vanrees.org
Fri Mar 1 14:53:14 CET 2013

On 28-02-13 20:31, Ben Acland wrote:
> tl;dr: how to handle build time dependencies between python modules
> using buildout, without looking stupid or including .tar.gz files in my
> repo.

numpy and scipy are a hell to install. I basically install them in the
OS and use the "syseggrecipe" to get the globally-installed ones in my
buildout:

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/syseggrecipe

Alternatively, for all your "compile/make/make install" fun there's
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.recipe.cmmi

Problem, it isn't "compile/make/make install" but a "setup.py install".
Well, you mention that including the .tgz is a problem.
You *can* download it with a download recipe:
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/gocept.download/0.9.5

And another alternative is to create a custom build recipe like exists
for lxml:
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/z3c.recipe.staticlxml/

I guess that the syseggrecipe is the handiest at the moment.

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees                    http://reinout.vanrees.org/
reinout at vanrees.org             http://www.nelen-schuurmans.nl/