[Distutils] pip merges wheel

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 22:16:50 CET 2013

On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 5:06 PM, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:
> Earlier today we merged the existing wheel branch into mainline pip.
> This adds opt-in wheel install support (built into pip, "pip install
> --use-wheel ...") and the convenient "pip wheel ..." command for
> creating the wheels you need.

I still think it is unfortunate that we are starting to extend pip to
be a tool for developers to create distributions. It would be better
of pip was kept as an install tool, and we added the utilities for
creating distributions separate.

The other option is of course that we start adding all sorts of
development commands to pip, such as build, test, sdist etc. But I do
think it's the wrong place.

//Lennart