[Distutils] pip merges wheel

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 02:15:05 CET 2013

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 5:28 PM, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:
> I do understand the confusion. Binary package formats have more than
> one use. Coincidentally we have implemented the slightly different
> "cache compiles" and "distribute software" features using the same
> format. It might help if you can imagine that "pip wheel" produces a
> different format than "python setup.py bdist_wheel upload".

I think it helps more to just imagine that it produces the same
format, but for different reasons. That particular imagining has the
virtue of being accurate :)

We do need to do some work on better explaining that wheel has two
major use cases, and that these two use cases correspond to "pip
wheel" (for caching your own local builds of an sdist) and "./setup.py
bdist_wheel upload" for publication of pre-built binaries via PyPI.

Cheers,
Nick.