[Distutils] self.introduce(distutils-sig)

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Mar 19 16:57:19 CET 2013

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 12:34 PM, Steve Dower <Steve.Dower at microsoft.com> wrote:
> I just joined up after the various discussions at PyCon and wanted to say
> hi. (If you were also there and want to put a face/voice to the name, I did
> the Visual Studio demo at one of the lightning talks.)

That was a very cool demo.

> The main reason I want to get involved is the openly acknowledged lack of
> Windows expertise that’s available. I work at Microsoft and part of my job
> description is to contribute code/testing/time/documentation/help/etc. to
> CPython. (I can also do testing/time/help for other projects, but
> copyrightable artifacts are more complicated and, for now, not okay with our
> lawyers.)
>

> I expect I’ll mainly be lurking until I can be useful, which is why I wanted
> to start with this post. I’m pretty good with Windows, and I have direct
> access to all the experts and internal mailing lists. So just shout out when
> something comes up and I’ll be happy to clarify or research an answer.

At the packaging panel, an issue was raised regarding issues with 32-bit and
64-bit windows packages. I don't remember the details.  Were you there?
If not, maybe someone can describe the issue here.

Also an idea, fwiw: it would be awesome if MS provided something like
travis-ci that executed tests on windows for open-source projects
hosted in github (and other places like bitbucket, which I prefer).
Maybe projects would start sporting "Windows: passing" buttons. :)

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimfulton