[Distutils] PEP DRAFT - Inclusion of pip bootstrap in Python installation

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Tue Mar 19 20:11:49 CET 2013

On Mar 19, 2013, at 2:04 PM, Richard Jones <richard at python.org> wrote:

> [...]
> Python upgrade timeframe and processes.
>
> To avoid issues with sudo we will have the bootstrap default to installing the
> pip implementation to the per-user site-packages directory defined in PEP 370
> and implemented in Python 2.6/3.0. Since we avoid installing to the system
> Python we also avoid conflicting with any other packaging system (on Linux
> systems, for example.) If the user is inside a virtual environment (TODO PEP
> ref) then the pip implementation will be installed into that virtual
> environment.
>
> The bootstrapping process will proceed as follows:
>
> 1. The user system has Python (3.4+) installed. In the "scripts" directory of
>   the Python installation there is the bootstrap script called "pip".
> 2. The user will invoke a pip command, typically "pip install <package>", for
>   example "pip install Django".
> 3. The boostrap script will attempt to import the pip implementation. If this
>   succeeds, the pip command is processed normally.
> 4. On failing to import the pip implementation the bootstrap notifies the user
>   that it is "upgrading pip" and contacts PyPI to obtain the latest download
>   wheel file (see PEP 427.)
> 5. Upon downloading the file it is installed using the distlib installation
>   machinery for wheel packages. Upon completing the installation the user
>   is notified that "pip has been upgraded." TODO how is it verified?
> 6. The pip tool may now import the pip implementation and continues to process
>   the requested user command normally.
>
> Users may be running in an environment which cannot access the public Internet
> and are relying solely on a local package repository. They would use the "-i"
> (Base URL of Python Package Index) argument to the "pip install" command. This
> use case will be handled by:
>
> 1. Recognising the command-line arguments that specify alternative or additional
>   locations to discover packages and attempting to download the package
>   from those locations.
> 2. If the package is not found there then we attempt to donwload it using
>   the standard "https://pypi.python.org/pypi/simple/pip" index.
> 3. If that also fails, for any reason, we indicate to the user the operation
>   we were attempting, the reason for failure (if we know it) and display
>   further instructions for downloading and installing the file manually.
>
> Manual installation of the pip implementation will be supported through the
> manual download of the wheel file and "pip install <downloaded wheel file>".
>
> This installation will not perform standard pip installation steps of saving the
> file to a cache directory or updating any local database of installed files.
>
> The download of the pip implementation install file should be performed
> securely. The transport from pypi.python.org will be done over HTTPS but the CA
> certificate check will most likely not be performed. Therefore we will
> utilise the embedded signature support in the wheel format to validate the

Major concern is how will this deal with key revocation? If the key used to sign the pip wheels gets compromised what's the path for this tool to revoke the key?

On the side of the HTTPS I've been looking into this recently as far as Python goes. If openssl is correctly configured (this is the case on Linux, and any Python compiled against the OSX OpenSSL) then `urllib.request.urlopen('https://pypi.python.org/', cadefault=True) will do the right thing. This gets sticker on cases where openssl _isn't_ configured with a default set of certificates (Windows i'm assuming, Homebrew on OSX for sure) this will cause a certificate error. It's possible a workable solution can be designed via SSL.