[Distutils] self.introduce(distutils-sig)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 20:10:55 CET 2013

On 20 March 2013 18:29, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
> Why can't unofficial binaries just use a separate index? e.g. Christoph can just make an index with his binaries.
>
> This solution also works well if someone wants to maintain a curated PyPI.

The only real issue I know of is hosting. I've thought about doing
this myself, but don't have (free) hosting space I could use, and I
don't really feel like paying for and setting something up on spec. I
could host the files somewhere like bitbucket, but that feels like an
abuse for any substantial number of packages.

I presume Christoph doesn't publish his binaries as an index because
wininst installers are typically downloaded and installed
manually.Although AIUI, easy_install could use them if they were in
index format.

But you're right, people *can* do that.
Paul.