[Distutils] A new, experimental packaging tool: distil

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 12:07:08 CET 2013

On 26 March 2013 10:57, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Ah. The metadata (see [1] for an example) mentions "coverage-2.7" as a script, as
> it was built on 2.7. That shouldn't really be in the metadata - there should be a
> single declaration, which is used by distlib/distil to create version-specific
> aliases.
>
> I've now removed it from the metadata from 3.6, you could try again using
>
> distil install "coverage (3.6)"
>
> to make sure you pick up the version I changed.

Yes, now it just installs coverage.exe. (No coverage-3.3.exe? Not that
it bothers me, I don't use the version-specific script wrappers
anyway).

> [1] http://www.red-dove.com/pypi/projects/C/coverage/package-3.6b3.json

So distil (or is it distlib?) uses metadata from www.red-dove.com as
well as PyPI? That's a bit of a surprise. I presume this is a
short-term fix, what's the longer-term plan for getting such metadata
onto PyPI?

Paul.