[Distutils] A new, experimental packaging tool: distil

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 26 19:32:50 CET 2013

Paul Moore <p.f.moore <at> gmail.com> writes:

> A couple of immediate points. I tried "distil install distribute pip
> wheel" which failed, because distribute requires 2to3 to be run as
> part of setup.py (no real surprise there). But distil *did* partially
> install wheel, leaving a broken installation (there was no METADATA
> filein wheel's dist-info directory). I had to manually delete what had
> been installed of the 3 projects. I'd suggest that distil needs to
> roll back anything it did after a failed install.

Another problem with distribute is that you can't install it directly off
PyPI with distil, because it does stuff in setup.py in a post-installation
step. You will need to use the special wheel I created [1], as I mentioned in my
initial post where I showed how to bootstrap pip (or rather, linked to a Gist
that shows it being done).

Regards,

Vinay Sajip

[1] https://bitbucket.org/vinay.sajip/distribute3/downloads/