[Distutils] Builders vs Installers

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 03:49:35 CET 2013

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 9:12 PM, PJ Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 8:33 PM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>> As far as I can tell the only things that even use PKG-INFO is setuptools/distribute and we want to phase them out of existence anyways.
>
> The only thing setuptools uses it for is to find out the version of a
> package in the case where an .egg-info directory or filename doesn't
> have a version in its filename... which normally only happens in the
> "setup.py develop" case.  So no need to keep it around on my account.
> ;-)
>
> (Some tools do check for the *existence* of a PKG-INFO, like PyPI's
> sdist upload validation, and the various egg formats require a file
> *named* PKG-INFO, but AFAIK nothing commonly used out there actually
> *reads* PKG-INFO or gives a darn about its contents, except for that
> version usecase mentioned above.)

It will be OK. Take a deep breath and laugh at the idea that
string.rsplit(', ', 1) on a useless field that's probably already
posted as a dict to pypi should be considered a serious threat to the
future of packaging. If you didn't laugh you can write Metadata 3.0 /
define the JSON serialization and we'll write metadata.json into the
.dist-info directory. It's not the end of the world, it is the
beginning.