[Distutils] Builders vs Installers

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 16:22:38 CET 2013

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 3:47 PM, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> One likely scenario on Windows is that you have a compiler and can install from
> sdists or wheels, but want to distribute packages to people who don't have a
> compiler, so can only install from wheels.

Which means you are actually not just a simple end user, but ops or
devops who want to build packages. And then the question arises why we
can't have documentation explaining how to build packages with the
packaging tools that is usable for that user.

Fine, as a stop-gap measure pip wheel might be useful, as this
mythical packaging tool doesn't really exist yet (except as
bdist_wheel, but I suspect pip wheel does more than that?)
But in the long run I don't see the point, and I think it muddles what
pip is and does.

//Lennart