[Distutils] distil 0.1.1 released

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 2 18:11:08 CEST 2013

> From: Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com>
>One thing that does slightly bother me. If distil is invoked without the -p or -e option, it defaults to installing into the system Python.

That's not supposed to happen - it's supposed to install to the user site (PEP 370 Per user site-packages directory) unless you specify --system. It will use the system Python unless you specify -p. So:

distil install xyz should install xyz to the per-user site-packages using the default Python, say 2.7.
distil -p python3.2 install xyz should install xyz to the per-user site-packages, using Python 3.2.

Specifying --system should install to the system-wide Python site-packages for the running Python.

In a venv, installations should always be to the venv.

I will see if the problem is Windows specific - the behaviour seems OK on POSIX.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip