[Distutils] distil 0.1.1 released

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri May 3 03:02:38 CEST 2013

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 9:30 AM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> On May 2, 2013, at 7:17 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 3 May 2013 09:08, "Donald Stufft" <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>>
>> On May 2, 2013, at 6:48 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> "pip --user" manipulates the per-user directories (and I believe I filed
>>> a ticket a while back suggesting it should migrate to the model distil now
>>> uses).
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Nick.
>>
>> I don't think it makes sense for pip to do this tbh.
>
> Language level installers should leave "/usr" alone by default, as that part
> of the filesystem is the domain of system packages.
>
> Cheers,
> Nick.
>
> Out of the three primary OSs only one of them has a concept of system
> packages. Regardless it's a major change in behavior and isn't  a clear cut
> right or wrong choice. It's going to need a stronger justification than that
> to break backwards compatibility in such a large way.

How about: I won't approve PEP 439 as long as pip still writes to the
system site-packages by default when running as an ordinary user on
Linux systems? "sudo pip" needs to be banished from the command line
lexicon of Python developers.

The transition isn't that hard: add --system now, switch the default
from --system to --user for anyone *other than root* some time before
Python 3.4. Anyone using virtual environments or an explicit --user or
--system will be utterly unaffected when the default changes, as will
anyone running an explicit "sudo pip" (in order to get write access to
the system Python site-packages).

Cheers,
Nick.