[Distutils] distil 0.1.1 released

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri May 3 14:23:49 CEST 2013

> > How about: I won't approve PEP 439 as long as pip still writes to the
> > system site-packages by default when running as an ordinary user on
> > Linux systems? "sudo pip" needs to be banished from the command line
> > lexicon of Python developers.

What is the proposal for Windows here? Would the default behaviour change?
There's no concept of "sudo" on Windows.

Personally, I don't care much as I only use pip in virtualenvs, but
backward compatibility *is* important, even if the current behaviour is
considered wrong.

Also, don't forget that the current release of pip supports Python 2.5,
which doesn't have per-user site-packages. The next release will drop
support for 2.5, so we *could* start the switch to the user directory at
the same time, but up until now that wasn't an option. PEP 439 may be about
Python 3.4, but

Paul.