[Distutils] distil 0.1.1 released

Noah Kantrowitz noah at coderanger.net
Fri May 3 20:24:55 CEST 2013

On May 3, 2013, at 11:14 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would also be relatively happy for pip to refuse the temptation to guess if run globally and require an explicit --user or --system whenever it is run outside a virtual environment. However, I think it's better to make the typical "pip install whatever" work for most unprivileged users without requiring elevated privileges.
>
> I agree the proposed exception for root doesn't make sense so I withdraw that idea, even though installing things into root's home directory is a little strange.
>
> As far as Debian's dist-packages setup goes, that's their workaround for this misfeature of the current Python packaging ecosystem.

As someone responsible for working with Python app deployment tools, this _will_ break the universe. Yes people should be using virtualenv, however many don't, deal with it. People expect "package install" as root to work like every other package system (yum, apt, take your pick) where they run "sudo pip install a b c d" and then run their app as a service-specific user. Magically writing to ~root will clearly not work in this case unless you also run your app as root (though I know some people do that too, but not behavior that should be encouraged). This proposal is entirely non-viable for anything but 100% best-practices users, full stop.

--Noah