[Distutils] Overriding dependency versions

Ian Cordasco graffatcolmingov at gmail.com
Mon May 13 15:57:25 CEST 2013

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 7:53 AM, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
> Gaaa. Libraries shouldn't pin versions (although min and max
> versions with reasonable ranges is fine).

As a library author, I'm intrigued. Why shouldn't I or others pin
versions? Let's provide a situation where it may be necessary (in my
opinion):

If I release a library dependent upon a particular API in one version
of a dependency and before I release my next version I notice plans to
break the existing API, why shouldn't I pin the version to protect
users (or at least provide a maximum version) from getting horrible
exceptions? I have no guarantee I'll be able to update my library
based on the new API quickly enough to get a version out concurrent
with the new API on that dependency.