[Distutils] Overriding dependency versions

Ian Cordasco graffatcolmingov at gmail.com
Mon May 13 16:16:38 CEST 2013

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 10:12 AM, Reinout van Rees <reinout at vanrees.org> wrote:
> On 13-05-13 15:57, Ian Cordasco wrote:
>>
>> If I release a library dependent upon a particular API in one version
>> of a dependency and before I release my next version I notice plans to
>> break the existing API, why shouldn't I pin the version to protect
>> users (or at least provide a maximum version) from getting horrible
>> exceptions?
>

> Best example: if you pin "somelibrary=1.2" in your library, none of your
> users can use the critical 1.2.1 bugfix release.

Thanks to you and Daniel. (I accidentally replied to Daniel off-list.)
I had just been advised by someone formerly a part of the distutils
(or distribute, I forget which) team that you either pin or don't. I
try not to, but there have been occasions where I found it necessary.
I'll certainly move forward a better developer for your explanations.

Thanks again,
Ian