[Distutils] Overriding dependency versions

John Anderson sontek at gmail.com
Mon May 13 18:48:14 CEST 2013

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 6:08 AM, Marcus Smith <qwcode at gmail.com> wrote:

> If I have a shared dependency between 2 packages but they have pinned
>> different versions of a 3rd package, is there a way to override this?
>>
>> Most of the time when people pin a version they are doing it because they
>> have tested up to that version, but it doesn't always mean they don't work
>> with a later version.
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> P1:
>>    sqlalchemy==0.7.6
>>
>> P2:
>>   sqlalchemy
>>

>> P3:
>>    sqlalchemy==0.8
>>

>> If I want to to override this for all packages and tell them its fine to
>> just use 0.8.1 and ignore whatever they were pinned at, can I?
>>

> pip requirement files do this.
> items in the requirement file override found dependency versions.
> http://www.pip-installer.org/en/latest/cookbook.html#requirements-files
>
> Marcus

We use easy_install/setup.py instead of pip requirements files because
there is no way to configure pip to look at a different index via an
application configuration file (or at least we couldn't find one).

With easy_install we are able to do:

[easy_install]
index_url = <corp index>

and everything works.   With pip it seems to only support a system
wide/user wide configuration but not for a specific application/repo.

Thanks for the info though!