[Distutils] Proposal: Restrict the characters in a project name

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Wed May 15 22:01:37 CEST 2013

On May 15, 2013, at 3:51 PM, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not immediately.
>
> I agree with you in principle, but suggest you do something much more
> difficult than your original proposal by having a long-term plan for
> allowing Unicode in all the places while still providing for visually
> distinguishable names.
>
> Is anyone reading this list not an English-speaking male?
>
> Who writes malicious tutorials anyway? Wouldn't they just ask you to
> install a package directly from revision control? ಠ_ಠ

Restrictions on PyPI can always be relaxed if the tooling supports it in the future. If you want unicode everywhere you can fight the battle to get all the tooling to properly support it and get all the users and distros to upgrade their tooling to support it. I'm not willing to die on that hill because I think it's going to be a bad idea for a very long time.

I care about moving us to a better state, and security and compatability trumps a facade of unicode support that quickly falls apart as soon as anyone tries to actually use it for anything serious. That's the hill I'm willing to die on.

Donald Stufft