[Distutils] Overriding dependency versions

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu May 16 16:08:42 CEST 2013

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 9:51 AM, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you were to say:
>
> install gerbil==3 wheel==0.16
>
> and gerbil version 3's requirements were:
>
> water_bottle == 4
> shavings < 7
> wheel >= 0.16 # of course
>
> and shavings's requirements were:
>
> cedar == 0.9
>
> The root of the dependency graph is "gerbil==3 wheel==0.16.0". These
> are the only == constraints that will be honored.
>
> The proposed option would keep "gerbil==3 wheel==0.16.0", convert
> water_bottle==4 and cedar==0.9 to just water_bottle and cedar, and
> respect the >= and < constraints.

Ignoring requirements, especially in the absence of conflict, as in
the case above, seems like a bad idea to me.  I could see high-level
== requirements overriding lower-level requirements, possibly with a
warning.

(I'm not sure what the scope of this discussion is; whether it's just
pip, or whether
the original question was meant to be general.)

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimfulton