[Distutils] PEP 438 - Transition Phase 1

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Mon May 20 14:18:40 CEST 2013

On May 19, 2013, at 6:09 PM, PJ Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 4:58 AM, holger krekel <holger at merlinux.eu> wrote:
>> Tensed to see how many people will switch without the mails
>
> I'll be waiting for the mails, myself, on account of I'm hoping it'll
> give me a nice list of which of my packages I can switch, so as not to
> need to go check on all of them myself.
>
> It occurred to me today, something I probably should have mentioned
> earlier in the PEP process, but it'd be nice to be able to switch off
> home page links without switching off download links.  I never have
> anything to spider in my homepage links, only ever in the download
> links.
>
> Ah well, it'll probably be moot soon.  If I understand the PEP
> correctly, I should be able to write a script that posts #md5-tagged
> links to my development snapshots, so I can include those directly
> instead of using directory spidering from the download URLs.  Maybe
> I'll write an "uplink" command extension for setuptools to generate
> and send the links to PyPI, using the same hooks the "upload" command
> does.  Then I could tie it straight into my build process for
> development snapshots, without having to run a separate script.

Sorry I forgot to reply to this.

Yes this is completely accurate as far as what you'll be able to do (and can do right now).

Emails will be coming soon I hope, my processing of PyPI is in the o's now.

Just a data point to show the difference this change can have on the large scale, I'm 3 days into processing all of PyPI looking for things that can be downloaded and isntalled and I'm only on the o's. For kicks I did the same thing but with spidering external sites turned off and it took about 10 minutes to process all of PyPI.

Donald Stufft