[Distutils] does pypi or red-dove have a better firehose API than "download all the packages"?

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Fri May 24 16:01:16 CEST 2013

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 09:55 -0400, Donald Stufft wrote:
> On May 24, 2013, at 9:54 AM, holger krekel <holger at merlinux.eu> wrote:

> >> So what you're saying is I can root your machine with a setup.py? ;)
> >
> > That's the immediate risk, indeed :)  However, i guess one could use a VM
> > with a chroot and a dedicated user and timeout the setup after 20 seconds
> > or so to regain some safety.   It's a bit horrible but OTOH i'd really
> > like to have this information (especially the deps) without requiring
> > everybody to switch to a new packaging format first.
> >
> > holger
>
> Most packages also have an egg-info inside of them you can parse.
>
> Of course the issue is that you're only going to get the requirements of the system that ran setup.py, either the authors or the servers. Which doesn't accurately represent all of the dependencies all of the time.

True but maybe it would go a long way for most packages.  I need dep
information mostly for finding out in which dep configuration a
package's tests ran successfully.  I guess just installing it into a
fresh env and "pip freeze" it with some platform info might more
directly suit my needs.

best,
holger