[Distutils] [Infrastructure] changelog / CDN inconsistency

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Tue May 28 18:06:43 CEST 2013

On May 28, 2013, at 12:00 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> Am 28.05.13 16:23, schrieb Donald Stufft:
>> Option 4: We add the expected hash of the simple page to the change log.
>> Mirror clients can then assert their state consistent.
>
> That would work. It would also cover the case where a new release
> happens while the mirroring is in progress.
>
> On the other hand, it's difficult to advise what to do if you find that
> the simple page does *not* match the most recent hashsum. You'ld have to
> wait a little bit, and hope that the CDN will eventually provide the
> current version.
>
>> Should also probably assert the file hashes that are in the simple index.
>
> Indeed, with the same limitation as above: if you find that the CDN
> gives the old version, you'll have to wait (or bypass the CDN).
>
> Regards,
> Martin

Immediately after committing the database transaction PyPI tells the CDN to purge it's cache for the packages that have been affected. Fastly advertises "instant" purging and in practice this means that the CDN will be serving the current version in less than a second after the database transaction has been commited. At certainly at the most a handful of seconds.

Donald Stufft