[Distutils] Buildout can't talk to PyPI any more?

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Wed May 29 14:38:22 CEST 2013

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 02:30:55PM +0200, Maurits van Rees wrote:
> Op 29-05-13 14:16, Donald Stufft schreef:
> >Can you get me outputs of curl with the -i flag of it both gzipped and
> >not gzipped? I can't seem to reproduce it.
>
> When it works I get this:
>
> $ curl -i http://pypi.python.org/simple/pep8/
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Vary: Accept-Encoding
>
> When I get a gzipped version I get this:
>
> $ curl -i http://pypi.python.org/simple/pep8/
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK

There's a discussion about this in #buildout on irc.freenode.net

It looks like the upstream server is misconfigured and doesn't emit

  Vary: Accept-Encoding

when a client does a GET with Accept-Encoding: gzip and gets back a
gzipped response (which then gets cached and served to everyone for one
hour).

Donald Stufft is aware of this and is trying to fix it from his phone
while sitting in an OR waiting room.

I'm in awe.

Marius Gedminas
--
IBM motto: "TEN vowels? Don't you know vowels are scrd?"
		-- Linus Torvalds