[Distutils] Draft PEP for JSON based metadata published

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Wed May 29 18:08:32 CEST 2013

On Wed, May 29, 2013, at 11:48 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

I only allowed build URLs at all because it seemed silly to force
installation tools to come up with a distinct format for them. However,
if allowing both appears to be too confusing, that's the half that will
go away, leaving it up to the integration tools to say how to nominate
particular binaries.

  Source references themselves are in danger of going away entirely as
  being not worth the hassle.

I understand it's supposed to operate at the release level (vs the file
level) but I think it needs to operate at both. The common case is
going to be "I'm referencing the thing I want to install by name and
version". However I think it should be a supported operation to say "I
want to install exactly this file. Nothing else will do". ``foo (is
[1]https://example.com/foo-1.0.tar.gz)`` solves that. However that
doesn't jive with ``foo (is <source_label)``. But if files had a unique
per project build label, then ``foo (is <build_label>)`` would provide
that.

I don't see much value in being able to install by referencing the
source_label (to me it's more of an identifier to allow tools like RPM
to trace a PyPI release back to it's origin). I do however see immense
value in being able to single out a particular file you want to install
either via url or a uniquely identifier (for project) build tag/label.