[Distutils] Draft PEP for JSON based metadata published

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Thu May 30 10:41:00 CEST 2013

On 29 May, 2013, at 20:36, holger krekel <holger at merlinux.eu> wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 21:36 +1000, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>> After preliminary reviews by Donald and Daniel, I have now pushed the
>> first complete draft of the JSON-based metadata 2.0 proposal to
>> python.org
>>
>> PEP 426 (metadata 2.0): http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0426/
>
> After a first quick read i am wondering if i missed something
> with respect to test tools.  There are some fields which specify
> dependencies required for running tests, but there is nothing that
> would tell which test runner to use, which test command to invoke,
> or am i missing something?
>
> Basically i am wondering how PEP426 could be useful/used by tox.
> best,

There is something about testing in the metabuild hooks section, although that appears to be targetted towards running tests for an installed distribution.

I'm not sure yet how useful that hook would be for my packages, as the test suite isn't actually installed (it is in the sdist, but not in the output of bdist_*).

Ronald