[Distutils] A process for removal of PyPi entries

Łukasz Langa lukasz at langa.pl
Fri May 31 15:06:41 CEST 2013

On 31 maj 2013, at 12:57, Radomir Dopieralski <sheep at sheep.art.pl> wrote:

> I was looking for a name for a new project, and as a part of that, I searched
> on the Python Package Index to see if the names I came up with are not taken
> already.

I concur. It's increasingly easy to find bogus entries on the index. We've had
this quite recently with Hynek trying to publish "first" and finding out there's
a package of that name. Fortunately we were able to work it out with Richard
but we had to contact him directly and waste his cycles on this.

Same thing happened with "proxy" but in this case Richard decided that while the
currect package is bogus, the name is bad anyway and he's not freeing it up ;)
Which is fair enough, but again - wasted cycles and no clear process.

> All of those entries share some properties:
>
> * no author and no way to contact the author
> * no website, website offline or obviously not related (like google.com)
> * no description or meaningless description
> * no download url or uploaded code, or the code that is uploaded is just
>   a "hello world" or similar exercise
> * no license

The simplest approach would be to expire unused package names after, say,
6 months.

--
Best regards,
Łukasz Langa