[Distutils] Reviews wanted for two 3.4 regression fixes

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Fri Nov 15 12:47:51 CET 2013

Some bugfixes that are in Python 2.7 disappeared from Python 3.x
because a bunch of Distutils work was reverted.  Jason Coombs and I
spent last Sunday figuring out what got rolled back; see
http://bugs.python.org/issue19544 for details, and for links to the 5
bugfixes that were lost.

Two of the five have already been fixed on the 3.4 'default' branch.

Two of the issues have patches against 3.4 that need review.  Please review
these patches!

    http://bugs.python.org/issue1180
    http://bugs.python.org/issue6516

3.4beta1 is due in roughly two weeks, so I'd like to get at least one
review of these patches before I apply them.

The fifth issue, <http://bugs.python.org/issue6466>, is a code cleanup
to remove some code duplication.  Jason and I were going to leave this
out, because it's mostly a code-tidiness issue and not worth much risk
(no one seems to have run into the discrepancy between 2.7 and 3.4 in
practice).  OTOH, the changes *are* a difference; perhaps making 2.7
and 3.4 match is worth the risk.  If someone wants to apply that issue
in 3.4 as well, or argue for doing so, please do!  Otherwise, I don't
intend to work on #6466.

--amk