[Distutils] Distribution format for Python3 libraries

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 02:58:05 CET 2013

On 17 Nov 2013 08:07, "Donald Stufft" <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> Wheels are way faster for pure python though, so they should totally be
> uploaded :D

In chatting to someone proposing a patch for IPython to start publishing
wheels, I noted that wheels don't yet work even for distributions with
essential logic in their setup.py file, even if it's a pure Python
distribution.

The specific case affecting IPython was the need to define platform
dependent dependencies. Metadata 2.0 will handle that, but isn't going to
be available until pip 1.6 at the earliest. (That does suggest "Does this
let IPython start publishing wheels?" would make a good acceptance
criterion for PEP 426 et al. It can join the setuptools metadata
replacement criteria, the Linux distro integration criteria and the Twisted
plugin model handling criteria).

Cheers,
Nick.