[Distutils] PyPI download issues from Rackspace Cloud

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Mon Nov 25 09:38:09 CET 2013

Digging deeper:

- SSLSocket.read() returns a premature EOF, truncating the downloaded
  file, which makes the md5 hash to be different.

- if I fish out the SSLSocket object and set suppress_ragged_eofs = False,
  then I get

    ssl.SSLError: [Errno 8] _ssl.c:1426: EOF occurred in violation of protocol

- SSLSocket.read(8192) returns chunks of 8000 bytes except the very
  first one (7669 bytes) and, in cases when the download does _not_
  fail, the last one (5634 bytes).  When the download fails, it's
  missing one or two last chunks (it varies).

- SSLSocket.read(16384) does the same; SSLSocket.read(4096) returns
  pairs of chunks of 4096 and 3904 bytes, hinting that the underlying
  SSL communication works in multiples of 8000.

My experimental code: https://gist.github.com/mgedmin/7637559

I now have two Wireshark pcap files of two SSL conversations: one
failed, one successful.  It's a bit beyond my skills to analyze them.
I think the server did send everything (I see a TLSv1 Application Data
record of size 5654, which looks like the final chunk), but Wireshark
marks it as [TCP Out-Of-Order], and then there are some
desperate-looking [TCP Retransmission] packets at the end.

(Incidentally, the captured download was truncated at 1303669
bytes -- i.e. it was missing the last three TLS application data chunks
of 8000, 8000 and 5634 bytes.)

Given that Firefox/curl seem to be able to download PyPI packages over
HTTPS without problems, I'd be inclined to blame it on a bug in the
CPython's ssl module, maybe.  But doesn't Requests use it too?

Confused,
Marius Gedminas
--
MCSE == Marginal Computer Software Enthusiast