[Distutils] PEP 453 - virtualenv change to Scripts/bin directory

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 00:17:14 CEST 2013

On 15 October 2013 22:33, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's only there because MvL didn't really want to add the existing Scripts
> directory to PATH.

Sorry to bang on about this, but do you mean PythonXY\Scripts (which
doesn't exist at install time and hence I can see why adding it to
PATH could be an issue) or PythonXY\Tools\Scripts (which isn't used by
pip/distutils/setuptools, so adding it wouldn't put pip.exe on PATH
anyway)?

There are two parts to this proposal:

1. Use bin instead of Scripts (which means changing sysconfig and
possibly distutils or 3rd party tools that hard code the name rather
than using sysconfig).
2. Expose Tools/Scripts by putting the code that's currently there into bin.

I'm -0 on the first of these, and -1 on the second. I see the scripts
in Tools/Scripts as a mixture of examples and optional utilities. If I
follow the makefile, they aren't installed by default on Unix, they
are part of the scriptinstall target. In the Windows installer they
are an optional install ("Utility Scripts") that currently are
installed but not on PATH by default.

Anyway, I'm the only one arguing here and I've said my piece, so I'll
leave it now.

As for virtualenv:

1. I'll implement the change once PEP 453 is accepted and there's a
patch for CPython implementing it (so that I can confirm any
subtleties of behaviour) assuming no-one wants to do it before then.
2. I'll assume that if there's no response on this thread, that
virtualenv users won't have issues with this change.

Paul