[Distutils] Deprecate and Block requires/provides

Michael Foord fuzzyman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 17:20:49 CEST 2013

On 17 October 2013 11:56, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> Arguably it's already broken. I've had to explain to a number of people
> that it won't cause their dependencies to install. I think its way more
> user friendly to tell them up front then to confuse them when it doesn't
> work or when it appears to work but they get an error from a -

You're proposing replacing "arguably broken" (by some definition) with
"actually broken" (no longer works). That's not an acceptable trade-off.

> Packaging is confusing enough without leaving foot guns littered through
> it.

Packaging is confusing enough without breaking people's stuff! (Replacing a
foot gun with actually shooting people's feet off if we're going to stick
with the metaphor...)

Michael

> > On Oct 17, 2013, at 6:04 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Don't break things when they don't pose an immediate security threat
> (and sometimes not even then) :)

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

May you do good and not evil